SEND and The Local Offer

Special Educational Needs

The changes in the Children and Families Bill affect the way children with special educational needs (SEN) are supported in schools. The new approach began in September 2014 and places pupils at the center of planning.  The key principles of the new legislation are:

1.     Young people and their families should be involved in discussions about the support they need, so they can share their knowledge and feed back to the school on the young person’s progress.

2.     Education, health and care plans (EHCP) will replace statements of special educational needs. New assessments for additional educational needs will follow the EHCP guidelines from September 2014. (Existing statements will remain in force until all children and young people have completed the transition, which will be within three years).   

3.     School Action and School Action Plus has ceased and been replaced by a single school-based category for children who need extra specialist support.


The local offer will enable families to understand what services they can access and what support they can expect from a range of local agencies, including the local authority, health services, schools, leisure services and the voluntary sector. The offer will include provision from birth to 25, across education, health and social care.


The potential outcomes of the Local Offer are:

  • To provide clarity and confidence for parents.
  • To support earlier intervention.
  • To reduce the need for assessment.
  • To identify need and gaps in provision.
  • To provide an evidence base for improving progress and securing better outcomes, at school and local level


Bawtry Mayflower Primary School has adopted these changes and is enjoying working with pupils and parents/carers  to ensure fully inclusive access to our education.



Who are the best people to talk to in this school about my child’s difficulties with learning/Special Educational Needs and/or Disability (SEND)?


The Teachers

Teachers responsibilities are:

  •          Planning differentiated learning experiences for the children in their care and for assessing the individual pupil’s needs. 
  •          Writing and reviewing SEN Support Plans with parents and pupils highlighting outcomes to be achieved by the end of a set period of time, usually a term.
  •          Making sure content of SEN Support Plans are reflected in daily classroom practice
  •          Tailoring the curriculum to ensure continuity, progress and challenge for all pupils in their class.
  •          Employing a range of teaching styles
  •           Liaising regularly with relevant classroom assistants as to planning, objectives and pupil progress
  •          Deploying teaching assistants flexibly and effectively to support pupils with SEN

The Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator/Inclusion Manager

Miss M Harrison and Mrs N Walker have responsibility for:-

  •          Overseeing the day-to-day operation of the school’s SEN policy.
  •          Liaising with and advising fellow teachers and LSA’s and cascading any information gained on in-service courses.
  •          Coordinating provision for children with SEN.
  •          Overseeing the records of all pupils with SEN.
  •          Monitoring and reviewing SEN Support Plans/Statements/EHCPs
  •          Liaising with parents of pupils with SEN
  •          Liaising with external agencies including the LA’s support, educational psychology service, health and social services and voluntary bodies
  •          Liaising with governors with regards to SEN/Inclusion
  •          Contributing to in-service training of staff.
  •          Managing the statementing procedure and provision for statemented children.
  •          Ensuring that the school premises are fully accessible to all pupils and adults using the building

The Headteacher:

Mrs J Jenkinson:

  •          Has overall responsibility for provision for children with SEN.
  •          Is the designated Child Protection Co-ordinator, liaising with SENCO and appropriate staff members.      

The Governing Body

The governor with a particular interest in SEN is Mrs A Bardell. Governors are responsible for:

  •          Making sure that the necessary support is made for any child who attends the school who has SEND.


 What are the different types of support available for children with SEND in Bawtry Mayflower?


Class teacher input via excellent targeted classroom teaching also known as Quality First Teaching


For your child this would mean:


  •          That the teacher had the highest possible expectations for your child and all pupils in their class.
  •          That all teaching is based on building on what your child already knows, can do and can understand.
  •          At times the teacher may direct a Teaching Assistant to work with your child as part of normal working practice.
  •          Different ways of teaching are in place so that your child is fully involved in learning in class. This may involve strategies like using more practical learning.
  •          Specific strategies (which may be suggested by the SENCO or outside agencies) are in place to support your child to learn.
  •          Your child’s teacher will have carefully checked on your child’s progress and will have decided that your child has gaps in their understanding/learning and needs some extra support to help them make the best possible progress

All children in school will be getting this as part of excellent classroom practice when needed.


Specific group work with in a smaller group of children.


This group, often called intervention groups by schools, may be:


  •          Run in the classroom or outside.
  •          Run by a teacher or a Teaching Assistant who has had training to run these groups.


SEND Register

If a child is identified as having a Special Educational Need or Disability, they will be placed on the SEND register at our school.

 This means they have been identified by the class teacher as needing some extra support in school.The Inclusion Manager and the pupil's class teacher will decide on the action needed to help the pupil to progress in the light of their earlier assessment. This may include;


  • Different learning materials or special equipment
  • Some group or individual support
  • Extra adult time to devise the nature of the planned intervention and to monitor its effectiveness
  •  Staff development and training to introduce more effective strategies
  •  Access to LA support services for one-off or occasional advice on strategies or equipment. 


At this stage, the child's class teacher will write an SEN Support Plan. The plan will include information about:


  • The child's needs
  • The child's strengths and areas for development.
  • The child's views about their learning
  • The parents/carers views about the child's strengths and areas for development.
  • Outcomes that are expected to be achieved within a set period of time
  • Teaching strategies to be put in place.
  • The provision that is additional to or different from that of others in the class. 


 The SEN Support Plan will be reviewed at least 3 times a year and parents' views on their pupil's progress will be sought. Where appropriate, the pupil will also take part in the review process and be involved in setting the targets.  


Involving External Agencies

This means that a child has been identified by the Inclusion Manager as needing some extra specialist support in school from a professional outside the school. This may be from:

  •   Local Authority central services such as ASCETS Team who support children with Autism Spectrum DisorderEducational Psychology Service, Hearing and Visual Impairment Team.
  • Outside agencies such as:

   Play Therapists
 Children and Adult Mental Health Service
Social services
School Nurse
 Community Pediatrician
Speech and Language Therapy
Occupational Therapy


  • For your child this would mean:


  •          Your child will have been identified by the class teacher or SENCO (or you will have raised your own concerns) as needing more specialist input instead of, or in addition to, quality first teaching and intervention groups.
  •          You will be asked to come to a meeting to discuss your child’s progress and help plan possible ways forward.
  •          You may be asked to give your permission for the school to refer your child to a specialist professional e.g. a Speech and Language Therapist or Educational Psychologist. This will help the school and yourself understand your child’s particular needs better and be able to support them better in school.

The specialist professional will work with your child to understand their needs and make recommendations, which may include:

  •          Making changes to the way your child is supported in class e.g. some individual support or changing some aspects of teaching to support them better.
  •          Support to set more specific targets which will include their specific expertise.
  •          A group run by school staff under the guidance of the outside professional e.g. a social skills group.
  •          A group or individual work with outside professional.

The school may suggest that your child needs some individual support in school.  They will tell you how the support will be used and what strategies will be put in place.  This type of support is available for children with specific barriers to learning that cannot be overcome through Quality First Teaching and intervention groups.



Education, Health and Care Plans


This means your child will have been identified by the class teacher or SENCO as needing a particularly high level of support or small group teaching. In this instance the school will apply for an EHCP.


For your child this would mean:


The school (or you) can request that the Local Authority carry out a statutory assessment of your child’s needs. This is a legal process which sets out the amount of support that will be provided for your child.


After the school have sent in the request to the Local Authority (with a lot of information about your child, including some from you), the L.A. will decide whether they think your child’s needs (as described in the paperwork provided), seem complex enough to need a statutory assessment. If this is the case, they will ask you and all the professionals involved with your child to write a report outlining your child’s needs. If they do not think your child needs this, they will ask the school to continue with the support in school and with the outside agencies already involved.


After the reports have all been sent to the Local Authority (L.A), the L.A will then decide if your child’s needs are severe, complex and lifelong and that they need more specified extra support in school to make good progress. If this is the case, they will write an Education health Care Plan (EHCP). 


The ECHP will outline the support your child will receive from the LA, how the support should be used and what strategies must be put in place. It will also have long and short term goals for your child.  The additional adult may be used to support your child with whole class learning, run individual programmes or run small groups including your child.


How can I let the school know I am concerned about my child’s progress in school?


  •          If you have concerns about your child’s progress, you should speak to your child’s class teacher initially.
  •          If you are not happy that the concerns are being managed and that your child is still not making progress, you should speak to the Inclusion Manager or Head Teacher.
  •          If you are still not happy, you can speak to the school SEND Governor.


How will the school let me know if they have concerns about my child’s learning in school?


If your child is  identified as not making progress, the school will set up a meeting to discuss this with you in more detail and to:

  •          Listen to any concerns you may have.
  •          Plan any additional support your child may receive.


 If you would like any further information, please do not hesitate to contact our Inclusion Manager.